High School Diploma, Report Card Authentication Legalization

Apostille your Canadian documents with the only company that provides:
Includes a FREE document evaluation!
Diplomas & Report Cards Canada
Diplomas & Report Cards Canada
Diplomas & Report Cards Canada
Diplomas & Report Cards Canada

Free Expert Document Review

We’ll get back to you in 1 hour
Includes a FREE document evaluation!

High School Diploma, Report Card Authentication Legalization

Canadian educational documents, such as a primary or highschool diploma, or a report card, must be authenticated before you can use them in another country.

In this guide, we’ll outline the steps you need to follow to authenticate and legalize Canadian school documents.

How to authenticate your highschool diploma in Canada

Primary or highschool diploma or report card authentication is a three-step process:

  1. Document Preparation
  2. Authentication
  3. Legalization


1. How to prepare your Highschool Diploma for Authentication

The first step in the authentication process is to prepare your documents so that they’re accepted by every party in the process: Global Affairs Canada, the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will be using your documents, and the final recipient (your new employer, university or school).

Global Affairs Canada only accepts elementary or highschool diplomas issued by schools recognized by a provincial or territorial ministry of education. You can check with your province or territory to ensure that the school is officially recognized.

To obtain your records from your time as a student, get in touch with your institution’s student record services.

Before submitting your diploma or report card to Global Affairs Canada, you must set an appointment with a notary public for a notarization. Elementary and highschool diplomas must be notarized before being submitted for authentication.

Report cards and transcripts must also be notarized.

Usually, once Global Affairs Canada authenticates a diploma, the Embassy or Consulate has no issue accepting it. However, there are a few countries that are stricter in their list of recognized institutions.

If your diploma is not from an accredited institution, it may still be possible to authenticate it, however there may be additional steps to follow, depending on the rules in the recipient country.

Once you’ve prepared your documents, it’s time to submit them for authentication.

2. How to authenticate your Highschool Diploma in Canada

Global Affairs Canada does not accept in person submissions. Instead, you have to send your documents by mail or courier and include:

  • The authentication request form
  • The document you need to be authenticated
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope or a prepaid courier shipping label.


You can then send your documents to the

Global Affairs Canada address:
Global Affairs Canada
Authentication Services Section (JLAC)
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2

Global Affairs Canada will not authenticate diplomas and report cards that:

  • Are plain photocopies
  • Have an unknown signature or seal
  • Have been glued or laminated
  • Are covered in a substance that makes it difficult to stamp
  • Have misleading content


The current processing time (as at June 1, 2022) is 65 business days. This excludes mailing time which can add another 5 business days.

If you have any questions, you can also call the Global Affairs Canada authentication services phone number: 1-833-928-1551.

3. How to request legalization of your Canadian Diploma or Report Card

The final step concerns the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will be using your diploma or report card.

Some embassies ask for supporting documents, such as translations, application forms and a copy of your ID card. It’s important that you comply with these requirements as failure to do so will lead to your documents not being processed – and hence long delays.

Once received, the consular staff at the Embassy will review your diploma, ensuring it meets the country’s requirements and will also check the authentication stamp. If all is in order, they will place a stamp or sticker on the document, confirming that it has been legalized.

Some countries require an additional step which you complete with their own authorities. Generally though, this 3-step authentication and legalization process is sufficient. It’s important to always check with the specific embassy or consulate about their requirements.

When sending your document to Global Affairs Canada for authentication (Step 2), you also have the option of telling them to forward the document straight to your Embassy of choice in Ottawa. The Embassy will then complete Step 3, the legalization. To do this:

  • Select “Forward to an embassy/consulate” in the “Shipping Details” section of the mail-in form
  • Provide the embassy or consulate’s full mailing address
  • Include a separate, sealed envelope with documents for the embassy


If you choose this option, get in touch with the Embassy or Consulate before you mail your documents to Global Affairs Canada. Failure to follow Global Affairs Canada’s or the Embassy’s instructions may result in your documents being returned to you without having been legalized.

The process can get quite overwhelming as multiple entities are involved. Get in touch with us at 1-855-700-5840 if you need help securing your diploma authentication.


Our simple 4-step process helps you authenticate and legalize your Canadian documents in a fast & easy manner.

Start by calling us at 1-855-700-5840 or requesting a quote online. We’ll get back to you in 1 hour.

Not sure if your documents meet the requirements for authentication and legalisation? 👇

Reach out to our experts and receive a Free Document Evaluation.

Once you receive a quote and select a time frame that works best for you. We’ll provide you with a final price and help you prepare your documents. When your ready ship your documents to our office in Ottawa: 1103-467 Laurier West, Avenue Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1R 5C7.

We recommend that you use a secure, prepaid and tracked courier service for sending your documents.

Have any questions? Feel free to call us at 1-855-700-5840

After receiving your documents we will take care of the rest. We will make sure your documents get authenticated and legalized within your requested time frame.

Want to stay updated throughout the whole process?

Check out Document Authentication Canada’s Document Tracking System.

…and that’s it! After completing the document authentication and legalization process, we will send your documents using the shipping method of your choice.

Remember: With Document Authentication Canada you only pay at the end, once your documents have been completely authenticated and legalized.

Common Questions about High School Diploma, Report Card Authentication Legalization

It’s not possible to get an apostille in Canada. Countries use different terms to describe the authentication and legalization process. States that have signed The Hague Apostille Convention follow a slightly different process, and that stamp is called an apostille. Since Canada did not sign the Convention, it cannot issue apostilles, however, authentication and legalization is an acceptable alternative.
Attestation is a term used widely in the Middle East. In Canada, this process is called authentication and legalization. If you’re asked to get a Canadian diploma attestation, it means you should request an authentication and legalization.

For authentication purposes, there is no need to translate diplomas and report cards issued in English or French.

However, embassies have different rules. You should always check the Embassy’s specific requirements before submitting your documents.

Apart from diplomas and report cards, Global Affairs Canada also authenticates the following academic documents:

University Degree & Transcript; College Diplomas – you can find more information on the process to follow in our university degree and transcript authentication and legalization guide.
Certificates (teaching, trades, experience) – you must notarize apprenticeship and trade certificates before submitting them to Global Affairs Canada.

Diplomas & Report Cards Canada

Free Expert

Document Review!

We’ll get back to you in 1 hour
Includes a FREE document evaluation!


Authenticating and legalizing your Canadian high school diploma and report card is a lengthy process as multiple entities are involved.

At Document Authentication Canada, we help facilitate the legalization of academic documents, including university degrees, diplomas, transcripts, and report cards. We navigate through the bureaucracy on your behalf so that you avoid unnecessary delays. Get in touch with our expert team on 1-855-700-5840 to request a quote and a free document evaluation.

Diplomas & Report Cards Canada

Get your documents authenticated now!

Save up to 21 Business days. Request a quote and get a free expert document evaluation today!