Single Status Document Authentication & Legalization in Canada

Apostille your Canadian documents with the only company that provides:
Includes a FREE document evaluation!
Single Status Certificate Canada
Single Status Certificate Canada
Single Status Certificate Canada
Single Status Certificate Canada

Free Expert Document Review

We’ll get back to you in 1 hour
Includes a FREE document evaluation!

Single Status Certificate Authentication in Canada

A single status certificate is a declaration of unmarried status. In short, this certificate proves that you are not married. Foreign entities may ask for this document if you’re getting married abroad, or if you’re purchasing a property. Some countries also ask for this certificate for employment purposes.

There are three different documents issued in Canada, all of which prove single status. These are a single status document, a provincial marriage search certificate, or a statement in lieu of non-impediment of marriage abroad. Other countries may refer to this document using different terms.

A single status certificate must be ‘apostilled’ or – in the case of Canada – authenticated and legalized, before it can be accepted by foreign countries. In this guide we’ll go over the single status certificate authentication process in Canada.

Single Status Certificate Authentication Canada: The Process

Authenticating a single status certificate involves a three-step process:

  1. Document Preparation
  2. Authentication
  3. Legalization


Let’s go into each of these in more detail:

1- How to prepare a Single Status Document Canada for Authentication at Global Affairs Canada

The first step is to confirm exactly what is needed. Contact the embassy of the country that requested your single status certificate to see what has to be included and the format. Countries refer to single status certificates using many different terms, including:

  • No Record of Marriage
  • Certificate of Freedom to Marry
  • Single Status Affidavit
  • Certificate of No Record – Marriage
  • Affidavit of Single Status
  • Affidavit of Marriageability
  • Certificate of No Public Record
  • Declaration of Unmarried Status
  • Declaration of No Impediment


There are also different terms for ‘authentication’. Some countries may ask for an attestation, others ask for a single status apostille. Since Canada did not sign The Hague Apostille Convention, you cannot get documents apostilled in Canada. Instead, the process is called authentication and legalization and it is an acceptable equivalent.

Once you’ve determined the certificate format needed, it’s time to prepare it for authentication. Single status affidavits, like all private legal documents, must be notarized before being submitted to Global Affairs Canada.

Some embassies also ask for a certified true copy, a translation, and supporting documents. It’s important that you consult the Embassy and prepare everything in advance to avoid your request being rejected.

The next step is to submit your Canadian single status certificate to Global Affairs Canada.

2- How to submit a Single Status Certificate for Canada authentication

The next step is authentication at Global Affairs Canada Ottawa. Global Affairs Canada will not authenticate a single status certificate that:

  • Is not an original
  • Has a signature that’s not verifiable
  • Is glued or laminated
  • Is covered by any substance that makes it difficult to stamp
  • Is not notarized


To submit your single status certificate to Global Affairs Canada:

  • Fill in the authentication request form
  • Add the document you need authenticated
  • Include a self-addressed stamped envelope or a prepaid courier shipping label
  • Send your documents to the Global Affairs Canada address:
    Global Affairs Canada
    Authentication Services Section (JLAC)
    125 Sussex Drive
    Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2


In case of any questions, you can also call the Global Affairs Canada authentication services phone number: 1-833-928-1551. In-person visits are not possible at the moment.

3- How to request the legalization of a Single Status (Marital Status) Certificate

The final step is to obtain a legalization stamp from the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will be using your single status certificate. As an example, if you’re getting married in Italy, then you must request a legalization stamp at the Embassy of Italy in Ontario.

As already indicated, a number of embassies may ask for supporting documents, some of which may also need to be notarized or authenticated, to process your request.

While completing Step 2 (Authentication) you have the option to ask Global Affairs Canada to forward your documents to an Embassy or consulate in Ottawa on your behalf, for them to complete the legalization step. To do this:

  • Select “Forward to an embassy/consulate” in the “Shipping Details” section of the mail-in form
  • Provide the embassy or consulate’s full mailing address
  • Include a separate, sealed envelope with documents for the embassy


If you choose this option, it’s very important that you get in touch with the Embassy or Consulate before you mail your documents to Global Affairs Canada. Failure to follow Global Affairs Canada’s or the Embassy’s instructions may result in your documents being returned to you without having been legalized.

At Document Authentication Canada, we can help you determine what’s needed for each specific Embassy, so that your request will not be turned down and lead to unnecessary delays. We have the expertise to complete the entire authentication and legalization process on your behalf, saving you time and money.


Our simple 4-step process helps you authenticate and legalize your Canadian documents in a fast & easy manner.

Start by calling us at 1-855-700-5840 or requesting a quote online. We’ll get back to you in 1 hour.

Not sure if your documents meet the requirements for authentication and legalisation? 👇

Reach out to our experts and receive a Free Document Evaluation.

Once you receive a quote and select a time frame that works best for you. We’ll provide you with a final price and help you prepare your documents. When your ready ship your documents to our office in Ottawa: 1103-467 Laurier West, Avenue Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1R 5C7.

We recommend that you use a secure, prepaid and tracked courier service for sending your documents.

Have any questions? Feel free to call us at 1-855-700-5840

After receiving your documents we will take care of the rest. We will make sure your documents get authenticated and legalized within your requested time frame.

Want to stay updated throughout the whole process?

Check out Document Authentication Canada’s Document Tracking System.

…and that’s it! After completing the document authentication and legalization process, we will send your documents using the shipping method of your choice.

Remember: With Document Authentication Canada you only pay at the end, once your documents have been completely authenticated and legalized.

Common Questions about Single Status Certificate Authentication and Legalization

To obtain a single status affidavit, you must swear in front of a notary or other authorized official that you are single. You can find a single status declaration form Ontario template here. You must then get it authenticated and legalized by the Embassy of the country where you will use your certificate.

A certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad confirms that there are no objections to you getting married or entering into a civil partnership. While many countries ask for this certificate if you’re getting married there, Canada does not issue it. Instead, you can get a statement in lieu of a certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad. You can learn more about this on Global Affairs Canada’s website.

A marriage search letter is issued by the office responsible for registering marriages in your province or territory and confirms whether or not you have a marriage registered there. Get in touch with your province to obtain a marriage search letter.

As of April 1, 2022, Global Affairs Canada’s processing time is 48 business days, but this excludes mailing time, and the time it takes for the Embassy or consulate to complete the legalization step. The whole process can easily take from 8 to 10 weeks, more if you do not submit the correct documents.

If you’d prefer to speed up the authentication and legalization part of the process, you can choose to outsource it to experts who can navigate these steps accurately and efficiently. At Document Authentication Canada, we can get a single status affidavit authenticated, legalized and ready for use abroad quickly. Get in touch with us for a free quote!

Global Affairs Canada does not charge a fee to authenticate private documents. However, each embassy in Ontario charges a unique fee for the legalization step. You can find more information on Embassy pricing, in our Embassies section.
Single Status Certificate Canada

Free Expert

Document Review!

We’ll get back to you in 1 hour
Includes a FREE document evaluation!

Quick Canada Single Status Certificate Authentication

This guide has provided all you should know about obtaining a single status certificate, getting it certified, and then authenticated and legalized, ready for use abroad.

It’s undoubtedly a long (and often tiresome) process, especially if you’re busy planning a wedding. At Document Authentication Canada, we facilitate the legalization of single status certificates and other private documents. We navigate through the bureaucracy on your behalf so that you avoid unnecessary delays. Get in touch with our expert team at 1-855-700-5840 to request a quote and a free document evaluation.

Single Status Certificate Canada

Get your documents authenticated now!

Save up to 21 Business days. Request a quote and get a free expert document evaluation today!