Mexico Embassy in Canada

The Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa provides consular assistance to Mexican citizens in Canada. The Embassy also serves foreigners who want to visit, work or reside in Mexico.

This guide contains all you need to know about document legalization at the Mexico Embassy, including processing times, fees, and how to submit your documents.

Mexico Embassy Canada

Table of Contents

Embassy of Mexico Ottawa

The Mexican Embassy Ottawa legalizes documents that have first been authenticated by Global Affairs Canada. Each Mexican consular office across Canada is responsible for legalizing documents issued within its jurisdiction. Check out the legalization section of this guide for a thorough list.

The Embassy of Mexico also provides other consular services, including visa applications, migratory documentation, power of attorney, birth registration, and provides information on traveling with your pets to Mexico and tax refunds for foreign tourists, among other services.

Contact details

Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa

Opening Hours

Payment methods

The fees must be paid in Canadian dollars by bringing the exact amount in cash or by postal/bank money order or certified cheque, payable to the ‘Embassy of Mexico’.

Embassy fees are adjusted at the start of every month. If you’re paying by mail, ensure that the payment is received at the Consular Office during the same month so that the fee you paid still applies.

Payment by mail is only allowed for the legalization of Canadian public documents.


What is Mexican legalization?

The Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa and Mexican Consular Offices across Canada legalize foreign public documents. Only legalized documents are valid for use in Mexico.

This process is sometimes called attestation, authentication, or apostille. Since Canada is not a member of the Hague Apostille Convention, it cannot issue apostilles. While the terms are often used interchangeably, the correct term for the Canadian-Mexican process is authentication and legalization.

Before your Canadian document can be accepted for use in Mexico, you must first submit it for authentication at Global Affairs Canada and then for legalization at the Mexican Embassy or one of its Consulates.

Each Mexican consulate is responsible for a specific geographical area:

Areas of Jurisdiction

Embassy/Consulate Jurisdiction Address
Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa
The Embassy is authorized to legalize documents issued by Canadian authorities or notaries throughout Canada

45 O’Connor St. Suite 1000
Ottawa ON K1P 1A4

Phone: (613) 787 5177
Fax: (613) 702 9121

Email: [email protected]

Consulate General of Mexico Toronto
Ontario and Manitoba

11 King Street West, Suite 350
Toronto, Ontario, M5H4C7

Phone: (416) 368 2875
Fax: (416) 368 0676

Email: [email protected]

Consulate General of Mexico Montreal
Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and Nunavut

2055 Peel Street, Suite 1000
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1V4

Phone: (514) 288 2502
Fax: (514) 288 8287

Email: [email protected]

Consulate General of Mexico Vancouver
British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories

1177 West Hastings Street, Suite 411
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 2K3

Phone: (604) 684 3547
Fax: (604) 684 2485

Email: [email protected]

Consulate of Mexico in Calgary
Alberta and Saskatchewan

407 2nd Street SW, Suite 400
Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2Y3

Phone: (403) 264 1259
Fax: (403) 264 1527
Email: [email protected]

Consulate of Mexico in Lemington
Ontario, Essex County (South)

350 Highway 77 RR2
Leamington, Ontario, N8H 3V5

Phone: (519) 325 1460
Fax: (519) 325 1464

Email: [email protected]

It’s important to check each consulate’s jurisdiction before submitting your documents.

The Legalization process at the Mexico Embassy

You can send the documents you need legalized by mail. If you live close to the Embassy, you should visit in person and pay in cash.

  1. Before submitting your document to the Embassy or Consulate, obtain an authentication by Canadian authorities. Documents without an authentication stamp will not be processed
  2. Send your documents by courier or registered mail
  3. Attach a letter, requesting the legalization and including your contact information (address, telephone number, and email address)
  4. Enclose full payment in Canadian dollars in the form of a money order (to the Embassy or the Consulate, depending on where you’re sending your documents). Legalization is paid per document so count the number of authentication stamps made by Global Affairs Canada. Also, ensure that the payment is received by the Embassy the same month you send it as fees change monthly.
  5. Prepaid envelope for the Embassy to return your documents to you. Use certified mail or traceable service, such as FedEx, Purolator, UPS, DHL, or Express Post)


The Embassy and Consulates do not legalize Canadian documents received by couriers from outside Canada.

Mexico Legalization FAQ

Legalization fees change every month, depending on the exchange rate. As of July 2021, the legalization fee at the Embassy of Mexico is CAD $ 57 per document. Click here to check current fees.

As fees are fluid, ensure that the payment is received by the Embassy the same month you send it.

If you’re not sure how much your documents will cost, count the number of authentication stamps made by Global Affairs Canada. This number equals the number of legalizations that will be made by the Embassy.

If you live close to the Embassy and go to your appointment in person, the legalization process takes 2 working days.

If you live in another province of Canada and will be sending your documents by mail, the turnaround time is 3 working days, plus mailing time.

This excludes the authentication part of the process which is done by Global Affairs Canada. If you’re sending your documents by mail, allow one to two months to get your documents back.

This may seem like too long, and it can be, especially if you don’t submit the correct documentation. At DAC, we streamline the authentication process, saving you time and money. Get in touch with us on 1-855-700-5840 for a free document evaluation and quote.

The Embassy can legalize the following documents, provided they have been authenticated by the relative entities in Canada first:

  • Notarial copies and certificates, notarized powers of attorney; affidavits made before a public notary
  • Professional degrees and diplomas; certificates of study from college or university; grade transcripts and report cards
  • Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates
  • Divorce Degrees/certificates
  • Notarized business papers
  • Records, certificates and documents issued by Canadian government departments at the federal or provincial levels
  • Judicial sentences and rulings
  • Medical records certified by a notary public


The Embassy suggests the legalization of original versions of these documents.

  • Documents issued in other countries outside of Canada
  • Wallet-sized birth certificates
  • Translations or photocopies that have not been stamped and signed by a Canadian notary public or lawyer with notarial powers
  • Academic documents without the name and signature of the academic institution that issued them

No, translations are not required. However, it’s best to check with the Mexican entity where you will be using your document to check if translation is a requirement at that end.

You do not need to legalize school transcripts and diplomas issued by Canadian primary, middle and high schools. However, transcripts and diplomas issued by post-secondary institutions must be legalized before they can be accepted in Mexico.
Embassy of Mexico in Canada

Looking for a Faster Apostille?

We offer fast, easy document authentication and legalization at a great price. Learn More

Other Consular Services offered by the Embassy of Mexico in Canada

The Spanish Embassy offers a number of other services related to Consular Registration and Assistance, the Civil Register, passports and travel documents, immigration and citizenship, visas, and criminal records. The following subsections give information about each of these services.

Consular Registration at the Spain Embassy Canada

Apart from legalization services, the Embassy of Mexico in Canada provides consular services for Mexicans residing in Canada and Canadians and other foreigners who are traveling or moving to Mexico.

Below is a list of services offered by the Embassy:

  • Migratory Documentation
  • Processing of visa applications
  • Visas for Certificates of Analysis and Certificates of Origin
  • Household import certificates to temporarily take your household goods to Mexico duty-free
  • Birth registration
  • Certified copies of Civil Registry certificates
  • Certified copies of original for Mexican documents
  • Power of attorney granted by individuals
  • Power of Attorney granted by a company or an institution
  • Issuance of a second or subsequent testimony


You can find detailed information about each of these services on the Embassy of Mexico’s official website.

Mexico Embassy FAQs

Yes, Mexico has an Embassy in Ottawa Canada, and five consulates spread across Canada:

Mexican Embassy Montreal (Consulate-General)
Mexican Embassy Toronto (Consulate-General)
Mexican Embassy Vancouver (Consulate-General)
Mexican Embassy Calgary (Consulate)
Mexican Embassy Leamington (Consulate)

Address and contact details are provided in the Legalization section of this guide.

Permits to reside, work and/or study in Canada are granted by the Canadian authorities and not the Embassy of Mexico.

For information on working in Canada, you should visit the Citizenship and Immigration website.

Non-essential travel between Mexico and Canada is currently restricted. You cannot cross the US-Mexico border for a holiday. However, if you cross the border daily to do essential work, or if the reason for your travel is essential, then you’ll be allowed entry.

The borders remain open for trade activities, such as supply chains of food, fuel, and medicine.

If you do travel to Mexico, the Canadian government urges you to exercise a high degree of caution due to high levels of criminal activity and kidnapping.

Canadian nationals and permanent residents do not need a visa to enter Mexico.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport. Permanent residents of Canada can travel to Mexico using their Permanent Resident Card and a valid passport or refugee travel document.

You can travel to Mexico provided your passport is valid for the duration of your entire visit to Mexico and until you return to Canada.


You should now have a better understanding of the legalization process at the Embassy of Mexico in Canada, together with the other consular services offered at the Embassy and Consulates.

Admittedly, authentication and legalization can get complicated: there are multiple entities involved in the process, as well as specific procedures to follow.

At DAC, we help facilitate the legalization of documents in Canada, navigating through the bureaucracy on your behalf so that you avoid unnecessary delays. Get in touch with our expert team on 1-855-700-5840 to request a quote and a free document evaluation.

Embassy of Mexico in Canada

About The Author

Lori, Director of Operations

Lori Shepherd is a licensed Paralegal, Notary and Mediator in the City of Ottawa and holds a B.A. from Carleton University. A native to the City, she has lived and worked across Canada and overseas. Lori is client focused and dedicated to clear and concise communication to ensure clients feel secure in using our services.